Thursday, May 30, 2013

Say No!

The smallest most powerful word in the dictionary, to me and many others, is the not the word ‘I’…which brings with it ego, a personal sense of self when it should bring the ever-present power of the only ‘I am”, God. But the most powerful word right now that we all have, and the youngest of our own examples, and uses often, is the word ‘no’.

The word ‘No’, when used properly and often, can stop the subtlest to the most aggressive suggestions that one faces during each day, each hour. Each time we are tempted to do any wrong, the false tempting thoughts that will lead us into the depths of trouble and despair, if we would use the word ‘No’ we are saved.

When we know ‘No’, understand why we must say ‘No’, and use it unsparingly we are saved!

The temptations of anger, fear, doubt, resentment, self-indulgences, hostility, envy, and the myriad other temptations alike, can all be turned from us if we would just say, ‘No’ to ourselves and these thoughts. The aggressive mental suggestions that come to us each day tries to tempt us to fall for, follow, and then become in broiled in, lead us into all sorts of discomforts. They can be stopped in our mental tracks with the simple, powerful, understanding, intelligent use of the word ‘No’.

It is interesting to find that the King James Version of the Holy Bible uses the word ‘No’ one thousand three hundred and sixteen times. How many more times we get to, we must, we have to use this word with ourselves and others…

When we say ‘No’ to the temptations that lead us away from the Good that God bestows upon us and our day. What we are saying, as David in his Psalms states, “I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.”1

And Job said, “God forbid that I should justify you: till I die I will not remove mine integrity from me. My righteousness I hold fast, and will not let it go: my heart shall not reproach me so long as I live. Let mine enemy be as the wicked, and he that riseth up against me as the unrighteous. For what is the hope of the hypocrite, though he hath gained, when God taketh away his soul? Will God hear his cry when trouble cometh upon him? Will he delight himself in the Almighty? will he always call upon God? I will teach you by the hand of God: that which is with the Almighty will I not conceal.”2

"Stand porter at the door of thought. Admitting only such conclusions as you wish realized in bodily results, you will control yourself harmoniously. When the condition is present which you say induces disease, whether it be air, exercise, heredity, contagion, or accident, then perform your office as porter and shut out these unhealthy thoughts and fears."3  
The personal sense thoughts of ‘I will not’ and the “I want to” must be turned from so that our lives bear witness to all the “I will”, “I can”, “I get to” thoughts that glorify God and His ways and means.

The use of this simple word “No” to all personal opinions, wants, desires, as well as fears, doubts and concerns, bring to us the power to defend ourselves and others from the wrong, by doing and thinking the right. By saying “No” to all the wrong allows us to more fully express the Good that we have and know. It brings us in line with what God is to have us do today, everyday.

We must say ‘No’ so that we may say ‘YES’ to all that God is having us to do instead. The more we use this word ‘No’ against our selfish ways we are keeping ourselves ready and in line with the Divine Will.

Let us then see the powerful use of this word towards all temptations that try to bring us down from the highest and holiest of thoughts that would save and regenerate us. Let us see all the thoughts that are useless disappear by our standing firm with the Truth and Love of God. Let us say often ‘No’ to ourselves and be free from the misleading thoughts that would bring us more burdens. Let us rejoice that we have the power to say ‘No’. When the Tempter tries to tempt let us simply, firmly, understandingly say “NO!”

“I love Thy way of freedom, Lord,
To serve Thee is my choice,
In Thy clear light of Truth I rise
And, listening for Thy voice,
I hear Thy promise old and new,
That bids all fear to cease:
My presence still shall go with thee
And I will give thee peace”.4

Gentle hugs
1 King James Version of The Holy Bible Psalms 119 vs.16
2 ibid Job 27 vss. 5-11
3 Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy page 392 lines 24-30 (Stand)
4 Christian Science Hymnal No. 136 vs. 1

No comments:

Post a Comment